If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Resting


Four Harbor Seals (Phoca vitulina) hauled out on a rock in Tomales Bay on 23 November 2012.  Note the variable fur colors and patterns.

Here's a closer view from a slightly different angle.  Not such a bad place to take a nap!


Speaking of naps — when exploring rocky shores, I've occasionally come across a Harbor Seal submerged in a deep channel or pool (see photo below from August 2012).  I'm not sure if they're just resting down there or actually sleeping, but I always feel like I need to tip-toe away so as not to disturb them.


When diving, a Harbor Seal can hold its breath for up to 35 minutes, but most of their dives last 5-8 minutes.  I haven't timed Harbor Seals in this underwater position yet, but l'll have to try that (from a distance) in the future. 

And now it's time for me to submerge under the covers for some rest before tomorrow's storm!
 

No comments: