If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, April 1, 2013

Shimmery

We got home from work late, so I didn't have much time to prepare a post tonight.  I decided to go out after dinner to see if I could find something simple to photograph.  I encountered quite a few critters under the starry night sky, but these two caught my eye:


These relatively large beetles were crawling on and underneath redwood bark.  They were ~2-2.5 cm long.  

Here are a few more views, including a close-up of the head, eyes, and jointed antennae.  There was something interesting about the way the beetles were slightly shimmery, and how that brought out a hint of shimmeriness on the bark.




Unfortunately, I'm not sure what species they are yet, but perhaps someone can assist with an identification?

No comments: