If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, September 7, 2013

The list stands at 9

On 1 June 2013, I found 6 species of butterflies on Bodega Head.  Today I did a little better — 9 species.  I was trying for 10 (or more), but just couldn't find that last one!  Although 9 species might not sound like much, it's good for a generally cool and windy place like Bodega Head.  I think more than 9 can be found in one day (has anyone done it yet?), but it will take some work and some luck.

I actually encountered the first eight species in about 45 minutes this morning, and I realized a little too late that I should be documenting them for the record.  So I have pictures of 7 of the 9 species; the other 2 got away without their pictures being taken.  Here are the seven:


Monarch (Danaus plexippus)


American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis)


Mylitta Crescent (Phyciodes mylitta), with a view of the underwing in the next image:



Buckeye (Junonia coenia), with another view in the following image where you can see that it's nectaring on Coyote Brush flowers:



Cabbage White (Pieris rapae)


 Acmon Blue (Plebejus acmon)



And a pretty little skipper, whose identity I'm still working on.  I'm wondering whether it might be a Sachem (Atalopedes campestris)?  But I'm not sure yet, so please let me know if you have thoughts about which species of skipper this might be.  The upperwing pattern is shown in the next image:



And the two species that weren't photographed?  An unidentified sulphur, likely an Orange Sulphur (Colias eurytheme), and a probable California Sister (Adelpha bredowii californica).  I know, this list of 9 would be better if all of the species were definitive, but at least it's a start.  See how many species you can find!
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie,
While birding at Campbell Cove Sept. 7 I saw Cabbage White, Satyr Anglewing,and Lorquin's Admiral