If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A quiet moment


One of the things I really like about the blog is that I can share pictures that you wouldn't necessarily see in a field guide.  Some of these images don't show all of the important characteristics of a species, but instead they illustrate an interesting behavior or capture a special moment.

This is a Snowy Plover preening its feathers on the tidal flats in Bodega Harbor on 19 January 2014.  In trying to identify why I was attracted to this photograph, I came up with a few different reasons. 

I love habitat and seasonal associations.  The purple color on the mudflats surrounding the plover is a good representation of late afternoon light in winter.  So this image is just a classic picture of a Snowy Plover in one of its preferred winter habitats (they also like sandy beaches).

And I love knowing that animals can be left undisturbed by people.  Even a bird like the Snowy Plover, that lives in places that so often intersect with the hustle and bustle of human activities, can still find a place to stand quietly and preen its feathers after taking a bath in a shallow pool.

No comments: