If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Terns and a wave


Although they're known to be here during the winter, I haven't seen Forster's Terns (Sterna forsteri) recently.  I saw a flock of 30 in Bodega Harbor this morning, so here are two photos for the record.  

I couldn't get all of them in one picture, but the next image shows the most individuals I could capture in one frame.  How many can you see?  (Click on the picture to enlarge it.)




At the end of the day there was a beautiful sunset, with a variety of clouds and lighting in the sky.  Here's one of my favorite views.  To my eye, it looked like a large breaking wave.  Do you agree or do you see something different?



P.S.  I counted 24 terns in the second picture.

P.P.S.  For a close-up of a Forster's Tern and a little more information about them, see the post from 23 January 2013.

No comments: