If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, September 5, 2014

World Shorebirds Day!

September 6th is World Shorebirds Day, so it seems appropriate to post some images of one of my favorite shorebirds.

While doing a shorebird count in Bodega Harbor this afternoon, I noticed some movement in a shallow marsh pool: 


Several Red-necked Phalaropes (Phalaropus lobatus) were actively feeding in the pool.

I chose these pictures tonight because they also show some of the habitat the phalaropes were using.  Sometimes the birds would swim in open water.


Other times they would cruise up and down small creeks lined with Salicornia:


The phalaropes would occasionally pause to look for insects among the floating algal mats: 


I hope you get to enjoy or think about some of your favorite shorebirds this weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beauty !! c