If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

No essscape


A silhouette, unfortunately, but I hardly ever get to show pictures of snakes.  I'm not sure if this counts, but it still seemed worth posting.  This Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus) had just flown up to the wire after catching this snake in a grassland on Bodega Head.

I was hoping to read about what types of snakes Red-shouldered Hawks have been known to catch, but I couldn't find much information about that (at least quickly).  However, if you do a Google Image search, you'll find some amazing pictures of Red-shouldered Hawks with different species of snakes.  I'm not certain which species of snake is in the photograph above, but the most likely is a garter snake (based on their abundance on Bodega Head).

No comments: