If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Screech!

I stepped out of my car last night and heard a very loud screech.

I turned towards the sound and saw this:


The sound gave away this juvenile Great Horned Owl the screech is a begging call.

But there are a few other characteristics that help identify it as a juvenile.  Can you see them?  The next image will make it easier.


The are still downy feathers on most of the head.  They're the ones that look short and fluffy.  And the "ear tufts" aren't fully developed yet.

Here's an adult (that was sitting nearby) for contrast:


There were at least two juveniles in this eucalyptus grove.  I was impressed with their screeching, and with the size of their feet!

If you're interested, here's a very short recording of the screech:
   

No comments: