If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Calling, hunting, and begging

A few pictures from 17 October 2015:

I was watching shorebirds on the inside of Doran Beach, enjoying the calls of Long-billed Dowitchers (Limnodromus scolopaceus) included in the photo above when this happened:


 
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) hunting shorebirds over Bodega Harbor



Later we watched this juvenile Elegant Tern (Thalasseus elegans) begging from an adult on Salmon Creek Beach (Check out the 'do!)


P.S.  We also have an exciting invertebrate find to share with you, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Peregrine is my favourite raptor and I always count it as a good day when I occasionally see one.

Jackie Sones said...

I'll admit, Peregrines are one of my favorites, too. They've become more common on Bodega Head, but I still feel very fortunate whenever I encounter one.

If you haven't seen them yet, check out these close-ups of a Peregrine in 2012:

http://bodegahead.blogspot.com/2012/10/portait-of-predator.html

Best,

Jackie