If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Any bright ideas?


Yesterday, 7 March 2016, I encountered this very large light bulb washed up on the beach. 

Here's a picture with my foot for scale:



I don't know anything about vintage (?) light bulbs, so if anyone can provide more information about this bulb, I'd be very interested.  Can you tell how old it is?  What was this type of bulb used for?  Are they still in use today?

You might have noticed that one side of the bulb (the side that was floating downward below the ocean surface) supported a few different pelagic animals.

Here's a closer view of that side:


And I zoomed in even in more so that you can see the pelagic gooseneck barnacles (Lepas sp.) and the bryozoans (off-white, rough patches):


I'd love to hear any ideas you might have about the type of bulb this is.
 

4 comments:

Asian Mussel said...

It might not be a vintage bulb. Industrial light bulbs can be of that size (e.g., for street lights or warehouse lighting). Sodium vapor or metal halides can be of that size. Cool find!

Not a perfect match, but here's a start.
https://www.google.com/search?q=high+pressure+sodium+bulb&biw=1920&bih=1063&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimz72TnrTLAhVIez4KHQSUAI4Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=ehC1Zp1B7Y2-uM%3A

Amy said...

I walk by this bulb shop store all the time, I'd guess someone here may be of some help.

http://sunlanlighting.com/gallery/1995873

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Brian and Amy!

Thanks so much! I like the idea of contacting the bulb store to see if they can identify it. If I find out anything, I'll post an update.

:) Jackie

Anonymous said...

Could it have originated on an Oriental squid boat? I have seen almost-identical light bulbs used on fishing boats in Taiwan. An intact bulb could easily drift across the Pacific, in a like manner to the Japanese-sourced flotsam you have documented elsewhere on your blog.