If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Activity at the coast

It's a longer story, but I'm going to have to get back to you about last night's mystery photo.  I promise to tell the full story, but it turns out that we need to do some additional research.

So tonight I'll share two of my favorite photos from a short walk at the coast today.  It was very hot in Bodega Bay again (over 80°F), which led to lots of insect activity.


Black Saddlebags (Tramea lacerata) preparing to release eggs.  This is a tandem pair of dragonflies, with the male in front (left) and the female in back (right).  You can see a bright yellow cluster of eggs at the tip of her abdomen.  Soon they will fly down to the surface of the pond.  The male will release the female (briefly) and she'll tap her abdomen on the water to release the eggs.  Then they'll do it again (and again).




Can you believe how much pollen this bee is carrying?  I couldn't help but smile when I saw it.  The bee was loaded and covered with pollen, but all it seemed to want was more!

No comments: